for people age 18-35, living in the Edmonton area, looking for good restaurants to eat gluten free

Friday, September 28, 2007

Why 18-35?

I've been getting a lot of flak from people due to the fact that I have limited the Dinner Club for people age 18-35. I do realize that people of all ages have Celiac disease, but it's my club, so I can do what I want to. If you would like a dinner club for someone your age, please feel free to start one up. I would be glad to help.
I have made my dinner club age restricted for several reasons, and will explain them here:
1) The first time I went to a Celiac event I was 18. There was no one else over the age of 12 or under the age of 60 that was present that had celiac disease (some mom's of the little kids were there, but none diagnosed). This made me feel very alone. It is hardly peer support when everyone is 1/2 your age, or old enough to be your grandma. This club is peer support for younger adults.
2) Most of the people in the club are still young enough that we go out to bars, are not married, and do not have kids (although there are a couple of exceptions). We might talk about things like dating, sex, drinking, etc. that are not necessarily appropriate for 'adults', and we do not want to feel uncomfortable at our social events.
3) You may notice that there are not many people in this age range that go to other Celiac events. That is because we can not always afford $40 a ticket and we are not usually that interested in going to meetings. It is also almost always people over 40 at these events, and it makes us feel isolated again.
4) It is important to get young Celiacs involved in Celiac awareness & support.

I'm really sorry if you wanted to join, but do not fit the age limit. This is, however, a support group for people age 18-35 more than it is a dinner club. Dinner is just a great way for us to remember that gluten free is not always bad, and a terrific atmosphere for socializing.

4 Comments:

Blogger tanya said...

I am interested in joining your group. I am 29 and am new to gluten free diet etc. How do I join in ?

my email is tmames@gmail.com

tanya

1:56 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your Dinner Club is a great idea. I am an old 36 now and have a family so it wouldn't be something that I had time for in my life at the moment but I was twenty when I was diagnosed and had a similar experience to you. I went to a convention with fabulous speakers and food but I didn't find anyone I felt I could relate to. So, I want to say, good for you for setting your target age group and sticking to it. Thanks for the restaurant links on your site. I am just moving to Edmonton and found them helpful.

10:56 a.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you join if you are in the age group????????

Erin

6:10 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn,

I see that it has been awhile since your last post...so I am really hoping that I am able to track you down!

I am a newly diagnosed Celiac having a heck of a time finding a support group...I love your Dinner Club concept! If you wouldn't mind sharing your wisdom on starting a club I would greatly appreciate it!

Brandi
brandi@bemaccounting.com

11:14 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home